San Marzeno tomatoes from Napoli are the inspiration for this rich tomato soup with melting bocconcini cheese.
The ingredient of Tomato soup with melting bocconcini
- 12 (about 1.2kg) roma tomatoes, halved
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 12 vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 basil sprig, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 1L (4 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 12 baby bocconcini
- Garlic bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Tomato soup with melting bocconcini
- Preheat the oven to 160u00b0C. Place roma tomatoes, cut-side up, on a baking tray. Top with sugar, drizzle with oil and season. Roast for 30 minutes until softened.
- Add cherry tomatoes to the tray, drizzle with a little more oil and season. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until lightly charred and softened. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook onion, carrot, celery and garlic, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, basil, stock, roasted roma tomato and any cooking juices. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Discard basil sprig, cool slightly, then blend the soup in batches. Pass through a sieve into the pan, then cook over low heat, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Adjust the seasoning.
- Place the bocconcini on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 2 minutes until just warm and lightly melted (do not overcook or the cheese will melt completely). Ladle the soup into serving bowls and scoop molten bocconcini into each one. Garnish with the roasted cherry tomatoes and basil leaves, drizzle with oil and serve with garlic bread.
Nutritions of Tomato soup with melting bocconcinicalories: 259.076 calories
calories: 17 grams fat
calories: 9 grams saturated fat
calories: 13 grams carbohydrates
calories: 12 grams sugar
calories: 12 grams protein
calories: 38 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 887.78 milligrams sodium