Serve this soup once affectionate dinner rolls or a half sandwich in relation to the side. To modify the recipe, correct the vegetables in the soup—add broccoli or cauliflower florets, diced potato, or shredded chard. You can as well as mount up beans once cannellinis or black-eyed peas.
The ingredient of Ham & Cabbage Soup
- 2 cups ham diced or shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 10 cups chicken broth OR ham broth*
- 2 pounds cabbage head, cored and as regards diced
- 2 bay leaves
The instruction how to make Ham & Cabbage Soup
- In a large saucepan or small stockpot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots and celery are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the ham, broth, cabbage, and bay leaves and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the cabbage is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- *To make ham broth, combine 2 smoked ham hocks, 1 carrot, 1 celery stalk, 1 onion (quartered), 2 bay leaves, 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns and 4 quarts water in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over low heat, reduce to a very gentle simmer, cover and cook until the meat falls off the ham hocks, 3 to 4 hours. Strain the broth and add salt and pepper to taste. Makes about 3 quarts.